UK Expatriates
Tax Planning
Tax Returns

You will have to pay taxes where you are tax resident. This needs careful consideration, but with planning and a little forethought you may be able to pay lower taxes. Residency is a question of fact, there is no choice in the matter; it is a question of physical presence. The UK and Italy have different rules for determining the residency of a taxpayer and this can afford a little flexibility. 

If you are running a business in Italy you need to consider very carefully how you generate your profits. Perhaps you’ve been in Italy for a while and business is good and you feel it’s time to place everything on a firm footing but you know that taxes are higher than in the UK and you want a way of declaring what you earn as tax effectively as possible.

As an Italian property owner, whether resident or non resident, you must by law file a tax return in Italy. From 1st January 2007 holiday home owners will have a tax liability based on the cadastral income of their property. If you plan to let your property then get professional advice because Italian rules are not generous.   

Perhaps you’re interested in the taxation system in Italy and what you might have to pay on your income / pension / capital gains if you decide to relocate.

Paying UK National Insurance and the Italian equivalent INPS, are important because this affects your future pension, the availability of state benefits and access to health care.  

If you’ve been in Italy for a while but with one thing and another you haven’t considered your taxes and where you should pay them then you need a plan to put things right.  

A pre-requisite for managing the affairs of the individual taxpayer is a command of both the Italian and UK systems of taxation and the bilateral treaties that deal with issues such as joint residency and the taxation of different income types, for example dividends, interest, pensions and capital gains.